Sunday, June 7, 2015

What's Rotary; Outside Class Presentation


Rotary International has been a part of my life for over 10 years.  It has filled an important need to foster a sense of community since leaving the Mormon church.  Being that I am the membership director this year, creating a basic introduction to non-members seemed like a good idea with this informative/persuasive presentation.  I especially enjoy my clubs unique characteristics and want other like minded community members to consider if we are a good fit for them.

I presented the 5 minute Rotary introduction to non-traditional students in a small auditorium.  The presentation was  designed to certainly be improved upon and used with other groups.  Before the presentation, I did get some feedback from the club presidency and made some adjustments based on their suggestions.  Although, the best suggestions came from my student peers who knew what to look for. They were given an evaluation form based on the grading rubric presented in the course.

The presentation included 9 slides and I was concerned that may be too many.  I wasn't marked down for that; however, I did get caught looking at the slides far too often, which hurt my score significantly.  I was hoping my glances to make sure the technology was working wasn't noticeable.  I learned that was the biggest downfall when presenting too many slides.  It simply created a distraction to myself.

As much as I enjoyed giving the presentation, my nerves showed through in my breathing. Apparently, I gave many sighs while attempting to speak and keep my heart oxygenated simultaneously.  Public speaking has always been a battle and I do continue to get better with practice, but the gift certainly has not been developed fully.

Ultimately, I scored fairly well.  Surely, more practice, better memorization, and learned relaxation skills would have resulted in higher scores.  Wednesday morning 7:30 am at the Best Western Abbey Inn on Bluff St., I will offer this presentation again for yet more feedback from my club.  If anyone in the class wants to join us for a free breakfast and see what we are all about, please just let me know. Call/text me at (435) 619-2821 or email me at kp000029@gmail.com

Evaluation form used Oral Presentation Evaluation

No comments:

Post a Comment